Monday, October 14, 2013

Random Chaos

(This Post is not about me. It's just a phone conversation with one of my friend. I have written it in first person)

Sunday morning. 

Looking around me, everything was a mess of sorts. A cup of tea getting cold as a go through making another PowerPoint. Around me was a pile of crap. It included a stub of movie ticket which I had to leave mid-way to adjust for an unscheduled meeting. A jacket with some Starbucks stains on it. Last pizza piece lying from yesterday's Papa John's order which I could not finish myself. A half-read book, a few visiting cards of people I met this week. 

I wanted to go home. It has been long moving from one city to another every weekend. What started as fun is no longer fun anymore. All the craze about getting more airline miles has subdued. My phone beeps to give a reminder about my flight to Atlanta in a three hours. Next three hours were the most cliched part of my life. Drop the rental car, pick shuttle to airport, stay in the security line, have some coffee and wait in line to board the plane.

Home is a mere concept. I did not know why was I even renting an apartment which I got to visit once in 3 months. All I needed to rent was a mailbox, or even better way was - forward my mail to a friend's place. I made a lot of acquaintances during these trips, but did not make many friends. Maybe I am not the person who can make friends in a couple of meetings. Falling in love was out of question. 

Last month, i visited my undergrad friends on one of my trips, re-lived my college days. Listened to all the stories all over again. They never lose their charm. No matter how much time passes by. How happy I was on that trip. Why am I not happy like that always? Why do I not take life as it comes?

In college, I ran after the highest paid job. I knew it was going to be hectic, i knew it was going to involve a lot of travelling, i knew what i was getting into. A year down the line, the metrics have changed, so have priorities, preferences, likes, dislikes, everything. 

As I make my way towards the plane, I make a pit-stop towards a souvenir shop selling those magnets which has the picture of Charlotte downtown on it. This is magnet number 40 for me. A year has 52 weeks and i have managed and impressive 40 magnets! Some cities i have counted twice, but lets not take away that little piece of joy from me. 

Maybe I need to find a fridge to stick these on and start living a real life. Or Maybe, I need to wait and make it a round figure of 50 before I jump on to something else. Maybe I stack up enough miles to make a free Australia trip. Confused! 

No comments: