Thursday, December 19, 2019

Choices, Matter!



I have never been an influencer of anything. Thus, I have generally assumed that the purchasing choices that I make don’t make much of a difference to anyone but me. 

For instance, the grocer would not make any changes to their supply stock if I changed my grocery list. Same goes for clothes, shoes, accessories, travel or any of my purchases. Simply because I do not generate enough volume for them to care. Or influence enough people for them to notice. 

All this being said, I’ve started to realize maybe these choices do matter outside of yourself. You just need a different way of looking at it. Maybe the fair trade cocoa chocolate that I brought helped a farmer get fair living wage for his work (So at least I hope). Maybe the organic produce that we buy will help some farmer take care of their land better and for long. Maybe if I pick a slow fashion label rather than fast fashion label, some factory worker somewhere will lead a better life.  

I am not trying to imply that I lead an ideal life. As I write this, I realize that my carbon footprint is far higher than the average, my single use plastic is much higher than what it ideally should be. But the point I am trying to make is, I am trying to make better choices. 

And these choices Matter....


Just like a vote in a Million other votes, even though it is easy to assume your vote is insignificant. Also, I completely understand that we are bound by resource constraints like time and money amongst others while making these choices. But nevertheless our choices are not insignificant in any way.

The reason being many of the companies out there are listening. Listening to changed consumer pattens. If enough people start making changes, the D2Cs will smell an opportunity. I don’t want to take brand names for this to sound like an advertisement, but some of the changes I’ve seen on the brand packaging have been encouraging. 

For example, a cereal brand advertised they help farmers transition their farms from non-organic to organic, a process which is costly and time consuming for farmers with no added revenue in the transition period. An eye-glasses company which donates a pair for every pair you buy. A company which uses ocean plastic to makes some of their sporting shoes. Coffee companies offering College Benefits to it’s employees. And many many more. I will try to pick quality over quantity.

The world is listening, what will you choose? 

No comments: